As you grow older there are many things that you need to think about. Along with financial and work issues to address you also need to pay attention to your health. Being on top of your overall well-being as you age will allow you to live a longer, happier life as well as identifying any health issues before they become serious.
But what type of health issues could affect you as you grow older? The below are the most common to be aware of:
- Diabetes – it is thought that over 29 million people in the USA have diabetes. This startling statistic shows just why it is one health issue to be on the look out for. It can be hard to tell if you have it as the symptoms, including thirst and low energy levels, can be attributed to other causes.
- Heart disease – a vital part of your body to look after as you age is your heart. Over time, poor diet and lack of exercise can damage this vital organ and the arteries around it. As it plays such an essential role in your body’s function then it is essential to keep your heart in good shape.
- Cancer – one of the major illnesses to be aware of as you age is cancer. Make regular checks of your body looking for lumps or changes in your skin, have check-ups at the doctor and be aware of potential warning signs.
- Mental health – as well as your physical health it is important to look after your mental health. This will not only enable you to continue to live an active, fun life but also fight off illnesses like depression and Alzheimer’s.
The above is not an exhaustive list. Being on top of your health will also allow you to avoid lots of other issues from oral health concerns to obesity and arthritis.
Top ways for older adults to remain healthy
How do you make sure you keep in tip-top shape to help avoid the most common issues around? The below are some great ideas on how to do just that:
- Exercise regularly – one of the most important things that you can do is to exercise regularly. Although you may not be able to be involved in overly physical or energetic sports, activities like Tai Chi, yoga and cycling are great options. Exercising a few times each week will help boost your immune system, keep your weight down and the fun and enjoyment will boost your mood.
- Consider your diet – as well as what you do physically, what you put into your body is vital as you grow older. It is a little easier when young to survive on a bad diet but as you age it gets harder. You should think about cutting back on alcohol to look after your liver, drink more water to hydrate your body and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Keep your weight down – being overweight or clinically obese is a disaster for your health. The extra stress this puts on your organs makes them wear out more quickly or not function properly. Being overweight has been linked to many diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart attacks. Exercise and a good diet are the best ways to keep the weight off.
- Get enough sleep – sleep is a secret, unsung hero when it comes to aging in a healthy way. Getting the right amount of sleep (6 to 8 hours is the general rule) each night allows your body to recover from the day’s stresses and your mind to fully relax. This will help you to stay fit, alert, and with plenty of energy.
Think about getting a blood test
Another great tip for looking after your health as grow older is to have a blood test to check your general condition. Of course, you may not feel like going to the Doctor’s and then having to pay for the resulting lab tests. If you want effective, reliable health testing then why not order an online testing kit?
These are inexpensive and easy to use along with offering the answer to where to get blood work done for free in terms of lab testing. There are a range of kits now that can look at general aspects of your health such as lipid panels or more specific things like a thyroid testing kit.
Stay healthy as an older adult
If you want to live a long and happy life, then you must pay attention to your health as you age. While you may not have thought about it too much when younger, it is something that becomes more important with the passing of time. Don’t leave it to chance – take steps today to stay fit and in the best shape possible.