Driving under the influence (DUI) can cause various personal and legal consequences. Aside from the danger that it poses on human lives, the offense also constitutes severe legal charges. Almost 30 people die every day in DUI-related crashes in the United States.
DUI is quite rampant in Nashville, Texas. It’s mainly because of its large population and the numerous music and arts festivals that happen in the state.
Despite newly proposed laws, drunk driving continues to be the most lethal cause of death in Nashville. In 2018, 5,783 drunk driving vehicular crashes were recorded in the state. If you’ve had this problem before, it’s advised to seek the help of a Nashville DUI attorney.
Roles and Responsibilities of the DUI Lawyer
This criminal defense attorney specializes in specific laws related to DUI cases. He/she is responsible for explaining in detail to the client all the information about the charges. As an expert on DUI laws, he/she should be able to recommend the best course of action for the client. Furthermore, the attorney should be skilled enough to represent the client in court proceedings.
Nashville courts take DUI cases seriously because of their fatal implications. Thus, offenders need to seek advice from a Nashville DUI attorney for a successful negotiation during pre-trial conferences. The expert not only provides helpful consultation, but he/she can drop the charges filed against the client.
Specifically, these are the additional duties of the lawyer, which he/she undertake on behalf of the client.
- Process the paperwork and administrative details necessary for court documentation.
- Select the jury, which consists of witnesses and investigators.
- Recommend a plea or sentence bargain when the case becomes too strong against the client.
- File motions and petitions to debunk negative statements that will affect the client’s interests.
- Expose discrepancies in the statements, charges, and legal procedures.
- Communicate and negotiate with the prosecution and the other parties.
- Inform the client of all the options and their rights under the law.
- Sort out, assess, and analyze pieces of evidence that he/she can turn into an advantage for the client’s interest.
Possible Penalties of Driving Under the Influence
It’s essential to note the following severe consequences of DUI.
- Expensive fines and legal fees.
- Long-time suspension of the driver’s license.
- Irrevocable termination of the license.
- Years of jail time.
- High insurance costs.
- Permanent criminal record.
- Felony cases.
These are the threats that people usually forget whenever they choose to drive despite their vulnerable state when under the influence of alcohol. Regardless if it’s the first time or a repeated offense, the implementation of the law has now become heightened against offenders. Therefore, it’s crucial to acquire an attorney’s services to avoid a lifetime of regret and trouble.
Nashville continues to rank high on the list of states that have the most significant number of alcohol-related accidents. Aside from the population, another probable reason is because of the numerous music festivals that are regularly held in Nashville. These events tolerate the consumption of alcoholic beverages with minimal regulation. Therefore, it’s highly suggested to contact an attorney that can help you prepare for the worst-case scenarios.