Netflix, the online DVD rental company, recently suffered the most severe outage in its history, as disc shipments to a third of its 8.4 million customers came to a halt due to internal problems with its system.
What are some of the possible causes? Let’s take a look
Top 10 Reasons For Netflix Shipping Delays
- Database software has grown sentient; 100% CPU time dedicated to watching every movie in inventory.
- Too many lazy people not correctly returning discs with the UPC code showing in that little window.
- Someone accidentally returned a porno; distribution center employees busy viewing it.
- Distribution center just received Chaos. Not the Jason Statham movie, actual chaos.
- You put Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay in the sleeve for Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and vice versa. Nice going.
- Major jam in machines due to some joker returning 3 movies in same envelope
- Distribution centers really fronts for pirate operations; DVD copying software license has expired.
- Throttling software running at full throttle.
- Most movies customers have selected already shipped out. But Batman and Robin and Gigli are available. Perhaps you’d like to rent those.
- Too many films in your queue. Look, maybe you should stop watching so many movies and get on a bike, Chubbs.