ITIL is a framework of best practices for delivering IT services. It can be used for defining a service lifecycle that prescribes specific activities and processes. When the companies adopt the ITIL framework, they can ensure that the delivery of services is done according to the set of well-defined, consistent processes that incorporate the best practices. It offers a lot of benefits, including reducing the cost of developing and deploying services, increased productivity, improved customer satisfaction, increased inflexibility, and better management of services. ITIL has become a pre-eminent standard for ITSM or Information Technology Service Management. If you want to work in the ITSM field, here is the ITIL certification path that you can follow:
- ITIL Foundation – In this certification, you will learn about the basics of ITIL. This is the first step for beginners to learn ITIL and become certified. There are no prerequisites. Anyone who is interested in the subject can appear for the exam. No matter which level you go for, you must pass the Foundation module first. It is an entry-level certification created for teaching beginners about the ITIL 4 and certifying that they have foundational knowledge for the advanced-level certifications.
The ITIL Foundation course will take place in two and a half days. The exam will be conducted after the end of the course. There will be 40 multiple-choice questions that you will need to answer within 60 minutes. You will be required to answer 26 questions correctly for passing the exam. There are several Accredited Training Organizations that offer the course.
- ITIL Managing Professional (MP) – This certification is for professionals working with digital teams and technology across the organization. It will cover all the information required to run IT projects, workflows, and teams using technical and practical skills. Here are the modules you need to pass for completing the ITIL MP certification:
- ITIL Specialist Create Deliver & Support – It includes core service management techniques, service quality and service performance, and improvement methods. It is aimed at ITSM practitioners who are responsible for delivering IT products and services.
- ITIL Specialist Drive Stakeholder Value – This module involves interactions and engagement between users, customers, partners, and suppliers with the service provider. It will cover SLA design, communication, multi-supplier management, CX and UX design, customer journey mapping, and relationship management.
- ITIL Specialist High-Velocity IT – In this module, you will be learning integration methodologies like Lean and Agile with technical skills, including automation, automatic testing, and cloud. This way, you will be making rapid delivery of services and products.
- ITIL Strategist Direct Plan & Improve – This last module will cover the practical skills needed for creating a ‘learning and improving’ IT organization with an effective strategic direction. You will be focusing on how to leverage Lean and Agile for planning and delivering continual improvements quickly.
- ITIL Strategic Leader (SL) – This certification is for digitally-enabled services in a company, and not just the IT operations. It will focus on how IT can influence and inform business strategy. There are two exam modules that you need to pass for earning your ITIL-SL certification:
- ITIL Strategist Direct Plan & Improve – This module is the same one as offered in the MP certification. It covers all the skills required for creating a ‘learning and improving’ IT organization.
- ITIL Leader Digital & IT Strategy – This second module focuses on aligning the IT and business strategy and handling disruptive technologies.
- ITIL Master – Once you have completed all the modules for the SL and MP certification paths, you will be qualified for the ITIL Master. However, in order to be an ITIL Master, you must have 5 or more years of experience working in ITSM at management, leadership, or higher-management advisory level.
As an ITIL Master, you must have a strong background in ITSM along with hands-on experience with ITIL. There is no fixed syllabus or training course for ITIL Master. For the certification, you will need to explain the reason for selecting the principles, techniques, and methods used for the project.
The ITIL training is available as instructor-led classroom classes, instructor-led distance learning, and self-paced online courses. If you are interested in learning ITIL and become an ITIL-certified professional, you have to find the ATO that suits your learning preferences.