A widely used Prochlorperazine Maleate, Stemetil stands as one of the most popular brands in this particular category. Some of the other similar medicines that can be administered are- Buccastem, Ametil, Nausetil, Acuvert, Vergon, Novamin amongst a long list of many others. Prochlorperazine Maleate is a category belonging to medicines known as phenothiazines.
Different Forms available
While Stemetil is most commonly available in the form of tablets, it is widely available as mouth dissolving tablets, suppositories, and injectables as well. Injectables are administered mainly in medical institutions when the treatment required needs to be quite severe.
What are the different strengths available?
The different strengths available for Stemetil start from 5 milligrams and go up to 12.5 milligrams as well as 25 milligrams which is available as ampules as well as suppositories.
How does Stemetil work?
The working mechanism of Stemetil is the crucial base point in understanding the theory of side effects that it causes and to analyze whether it makes you drowsy or not. It basically works by blocking the dopamine receptors that are responsible for controlling one’s behavior and one’s mood. It is a neurotransmitter which is found inside the brand and facilitates exchanging neuro signals in the brains.
On the other hand, the prochlorperazine checks the receptors for dopamine in the particular area of the brain which manages vomiting as well as nausea. The reflex of vomiting is further triggered by the center of the brain which controls vomiting. When it receives neural messages from the Chemoreceptor Trigger Zone and neural messages too, it goes on to further trigger the action.
The Stemetil, on the other hand, blocks there receptors in the Chemoreceptor Trigger Zone along with the gut and puts a halt to the transmission of dopamine to these responsible triggers. Hence, it reduces the nausea sensation along with vomiting.
Once Stemetil starts to act, it further curbs hyper anxiety and psychotic disorders related to the trigger center. The overactive dopamine is blocked and hence all of this reduces. It is mainly used as an antiemetic and an antipsychotic drug too.
What are the uses of Stemetil?
Stemetil is used for many purposes. But the main ones that it controls are:
- Severe Anxiety
- Uneasiness which is caused due to migraine headaches
- Nausea caused post chemotherapy
- Motion sickness
Conditions where Stemetil may be avoided
While it is commonly used to heal the disorders, there are some other conditions too in which the doctors may ask you do not have this medicine at all. It is crucial to inform your doctor about the problems that you are suffering through before you start having this particular medication. Some of the most common disorders when one should not have this medicine includes- Respiratory problems, Disorders that are related to Thyroid, Disorders which arise in Kidney, Liver as well as prostate. It should also be avoided in cardiac conditions, while one plans pregnancy or is pregnant, during feeding an infant as well as for people who are prone to severe allergies and reactions to different medications. It is best avoided by people who have suffered through a tumor on the adrenal gland or are prone to tumors as well.
Some of the other problems where it may act as an issue are with jaundice, during a certain blood infection or a disorder or even epilepsy. If you are suffering through muscle weakness, Parkinson’s disease or are prone to blood disorders, then it is a big problem and may create many different side effects. It is also good if you could avoid it with antacids as well as other antibiotics so that there is no severe reaction.
Administration or Dosage of Stemetil
Generally, prochlorperazine is supposed to be taken either twice or three times in the full day. Otherwise, it can be used as the doctor recommends after carefully analyzing your situation. Most doctors administer this medicine for short-lived durations of vertigo, vomiting, nausea as well as many other balance disorders.
If your case is more severe and you need relief for a longer duration, then a vestibular rehabilitation is also recommended. It is definitely the most useful treatment for patients suffering through vertigo and is having this medication course. There is also a lower dose which is used in the treatment of nausea and vertigo and results from different vestibular disorders which are there only for a short duration. However, it is crucial to get an alternative form of treatment in order to curb the disease for a longer time.
It is also crucial to remember that avoiding alcohol while consuming Stemetil is important. Another thing that doctors ask you to avoid while consuming this medicine is antacids. Since, Stemetil contains prochlorperazine, antacids may interfere with its performance and reduce the performance of it. It is always better to consult a physician or your doctor and explain to him about your allergies for ensuring that there is no negative effect when you have this medication.
While tablets work, even intramuscular drug administering is quite helpful. It proves to be quite beneficial, especially when the case of nausea and vomiting really aggravates. The intramuscular drug administration starts to perform within the first five to ten minutes and lasts for three to four hours. The effects are visible faster than tablets as the mouth dissolving tablets may take much longer to provide relief to the patient.
What are the Side-effects of Stemetil / Prochlorperazine? Does it end up making you drowsy?
In the aforementioned pointers, we have explained the constitution and the working of Stemetil which will help you understand about the side effects caused by this medication in a better manner. Some of the most common side effects caused by Stemetil include:
- One of the most common side effects of having Stemetil is the photosensitivity to the skin. Hence, it is always advisable to wear a strong sun screen lotion to avoid these adverse effects.
- Stemetil has also proven to have effects on blood sugar. Hence, as a diabetic patient who is consuming this medication, you need to be extra careful and need to keep regulating your sugar levels.
- Now coming to the main point. Yes, Stemetil does cause a sedative effect hence making patients feel really drowsy. It is because it affects the dopamine level of your brain and affects the centre that is responsible for controlling the mood and behavior, hence causing an effect wherein you may feel really drowsy. Additionally, if you continue having alcohol with this medication- then you would experience much heavier reactions as opposed to the normal level sedative effect. Hence, you are strongly advised to stay away from driving, heavy machinery or any activity that requires your concentration and attention.
- This medication may sometimes even cause an accompanying heaviness or even a headache along with the sedative or the drowsy effect. You would need to have a painkiller in case the pain becomes unbearable and too severe. In fact, do not avoid a headache at all and get help just to be sure that there is no adverse effect of this medicine.
- Apart from the aforementioned effects, Stemetil or any medication containing prochlorperazine can also cause the patient to have an extremely dry mouth. This is mainly because the neutrophils or the WBCs fall drastically in the blood for some patients. It is better to keep having water and ensuring that you are not hit by dehydration as it may add to your problems.
- Sometimes, you may even suffer through involuntary movement of a muscle or feel extremely fidgety along with some shakiness that might scare you. The basic rule is to not avoid any problem if you are suffering through it. Visit the doctor as soon as you feel a reaction hitting you that seems highly abnormal to you. In such cases, the doctor may ask you to adjust your dosage so that the treatment is on but not adverse enough to cause any side effects.
- It is also possible that you start to feel really hot or extremely cold all of a sudden because this drug is also said to have an effect on regulating the temperature of your body. This particular side effect is more frequently visible in adults who belong to the older age range. However, remember to stay hydrated and not avoid any hydration so that you do not feel extremely hot and be aptly clothed so that you do not fall prey to chills and shivering.
Ultimately, it is crucial to get this medication only after consulting your doctor and not suffer through any adverse consequences because of carelessness. If you start to feel any side effect, then it is highly advisable that you consult your doctor right away. While Stemetil is a preferred medication, it can definitely end up affecting your system if you do not take care properly. If you start to feel more drowsy than ever, then consult a doctor to confirm whether these levels are normal or not. If not, then get your dosage affected so that there is no issue.